Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Not That This is a Pattern or Anything

614The new FEMA disaster manual

My usual absorption of right wing radio has been interrupted recently by my newfound obsession with podcasts, which have allowed me to artificially broaden my audio horizons as I drive to and from campus. Yesterday, however, I left my iPod at home and tested the resilience of my gag reflex by listening to Rush Limbaugh and Michael Reagan, who served as thick-necked bookends to a day spent narcotizing my students with lectures on the emergence of bonded labor of varying kinds in the Spanish and English colonies of North America. It was a good day to listen. In the morning, I was treated to a classic Rush Limbaugh tirade, wherein the suffering masses of the Gulf Coast were upbraided for their "entitlement mentality," as if being plucked from a rooftop and herded into the Astrodome were a slipperly slope leading to nationalized health care and top loin steaks pilfered from the backyard grills of the deserving rich. I half expected him to accuse "welfare moms" of having more babies for the sole reason of having more of "them" to evacuate. (I'd track down the transcript for this, but I'd have to buy a membership to the Rush Limbaugh Society for the Propagation of Pharmaceuticals in Foreign Parts. With my $55 membership, I'd get access to all the transcripts and podcasts I could choke down, but right now I'm selling desk copies on Amazon to pay my car insurance, so there's no way that's going to happen.) In any case, by mid-afternoon it was time to hear Michael Reagan fist-fuck his way through the English language; yesterday's bit of inspiration involved a few words of praise for Harry Connick, Jr., who -- unlike Sean Penn -- actually managed to get in there and, in Reagan's own words, "rescue some black people from their front porches."

Finally, as we descend into the nether regions of the right, there's this from John Derbyshire of the National Review, who a few days ago offered the following scientific gloss to our first refugee crisis since the Civil War:
Our own Roger Clegg noted last year that "Birth rates for unmarried women vary widely by race and Hispanic origin ... Among African Americans, 68.2 percent of births are illegitimate, versus 23.0 percent for non-Hispanic whites."

Meanwhile, so far as males are concerned, the Bureau of Justice reports that "At midyear 2004 there were 4,919 black male prison and jail inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,717 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 717 white male inmates per 100,000 white males."

Under the circumstances, to say, as Steve Sailer does, that African Americans "tend to possess poorer native judgment than members of better-educated groups," and "need stricter moral guidance from society" does not seem to me very outrageous.

This Derbyshire turd was pinched out in reply to a post in which John Podhoretz, momentarily believing it was 1966, courageously denounced the xenophobes at VDARE.com for suggesting that black Americans "need stricter moral guidance from society."

UPDATE: For more of the same, see this excellent compilation of racist bile.
|