Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Does "Idiot Son of an Asshole" Count?

John Miller at NRO has an idea that will doubtless bring the legions of Sammy Hagar and Ted Nugent fans in from the woods and off their ATV's:
I’m going to compile a list of great conservative rock-and-roll songs, and I’d like your suggestions. Criteria: 1) Lyrically, the song must express a conservative sentiment, such as appreciation for a traditional value, skepticism of government power, etc. 2) It must be a great rock and roll song. A good example: “Taxman,” by the Beatles (“If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street/If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat”).

Please send your recommendations to me at nrorocks@yahoo.com -- and be sure to explain your reasons. I have a bias in favor of songs that are already well known, or at least songs that are by well-known bands. But I’m willing to consider anything. Even Duran Duran.

By Miller's peculiar definition, virtually any antiwar song should make the list, given their "appreciation for a traditional value" (e.g., not incinerating people) and their avowed "skepticism of government power" (as the primary instrument for violating said "traditional value.") Somehow, though, I think Miller is in for a few thousand nominations of "I Can't Drive 55."

As for myself, I just e-mailed John and suggested the following nominees, which are based on the somewhat different criteria of (1) sounding like they could be conservative rock and roll songs while (2) not actually being conservative rock and roll songs:

(1) Dead Kennedys, "Kill the Poor"
(2) Black Flag, "Gimme Gimme Gimme"
(3) Paul Robeson, "My Old Kentucky Home"
(4) Ernest Phipps and his Holiness Quartet, "I Want to Go Where Jesus Is" (not technically rock and roll, but who fucking cares?)
(5) Mountain Goats, "There Will Be No Divorce"
(6) Happy Flowers, "I Gave the Cat Some Acid"

Other suggestions can be passed on to John Miller at nrorocks@yahoo.com. Or leave them here. Either way.
|