Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Long Time, No See

P6120032_1

I've been thinking about dropping back in for a long time now, but a conspiracy of factors (joined by my own chronic procrastination) have delayed that moment for about two months. For starters, I'm quite surprised to report that parenthood has sapped a tremendous amount of free time that used to be spent reading the news, noodling aimlessly through my blogroll, and trying to maintain this blog's altitude of 100 hits a day. Evidently, sustaining a helpless infant requires a bloody lot of labor. Who knew? And why did no one ever share with me this vital morsel of information as I was squandering my last few moments of unfettered, child-free existence?

I kid, of course. In all honesty, parenthood has offered me more autonomy (and sleep) than I expected. That being said, I can't imagine a point at which I'll have the time or the inclination to work on this blog regularly again. I have no intention of retooling my efforts and becoming a "Daddy Blogger," as I have nothing profound to say about fatherhood and nothing original to note about, say, the jet-stream of material that flows from my child's every orifice. I'm also disinclined to resume my traditional, random bitching and moaning.

Alas, however, I've decided not to euthanize the Axis just yet. For the time being, I'm going to try and continue with the "awful day in history" posts that preceded the baby's arrival in April. I got more pleasure out of writing those entries than anything else I had done in months -- so rather than quit the blogosphere entirely, I'm going to if I can work this gimmick for a few more weeks. It may produce the same effect as Spinal Tap's decision to remake itself as a jazz fusion trio, but we'll have to wait and see.
|