Monday, November 28, 2005

What Thanksgiving on the Island of Dr. Moreau Would Look Like

For Thanksgiving, I was invited to a friend's house to gorge myself on a southern delicacy known as "Turducken," which consists of a de-boned chicken stuffed inside a de-boned duck stuffed inside a de-boned turkey, bound together with string and larded with various kinds of stuffing (ours was sausage and crayfish.) This little matryushka doll of poultry proved to be the centerpiece of a glorious eating frenzy that rivaled in gluttony (while surpassing in elegance) my own family's Thickburger eating contest last year (discussed in some detail a few posts below). I can't begin to describe how amazing this bird of paradise was. If we had been eating at my house, I would have used a toilet plunger to force another serving down my throat.

Friends and family members not fortunate enough to be present at the deluge are seemingly curious about what a Turducken actually looks like. The following photos are not mine (my wife had absconded to Wisconsin with the digital camera), but they accurately depict the mystery and majesty of the Turducken:

med-turducken5
med-turducken4

After dinner, conversation turned to politics, at which point I suggested that next year we might invent a new Alaskan dish known as a "Halideevens" -- a de-boned halibut stuffed inside a de-boned Sitka deer stuffed inside a de-boned Ted Stevens.

Photos of that project will be forthcoming.
|